So... unlike most people I know, I really don't care for avocado. Avocado toasts have been trending lately in the food scene, but what is a non-avocado eater to do? I figured I could get into the fancy toast game without using avocado! So here it is, 5 fancy toasts that don't involve avocado! These are super easy to put together, and they look really pretty too! Enjoy!
To start, you want to find a really good crusty bread that will be good carrier for your toppings. I picked up some fresh bread from the market: a multigrain boule and a sesame seed bread from Whole Foods. You'll want to slice your bread using a sharp bread knife into 3/4 inch pieces. Drizzle each piece with a little olive oil and toast in an oven at 325F for about 5-10 minutes.
1. Salmon Lox
Ingredients: Smoked Salmon, Cucumbers, Cream Cheese and Chives.
- Prepare your cucumber by slicing it thin using a mandolin or a vegetable peeler.
- Chop up your chives into small half inch pieces
- Spread the cream cheese evenly onto your warm toast
- Layer the salmon lox slices with the thin cucumber slices
- Top with chives
2. Honey Goat Cheese
Ingredients: Goat Cheese, Honey, Blackberries
- Spread the goat cheese on your warm toast
- Cut the blackberries in half and place on top of the goat cheese
- Drizzle Honey all over the toast
3. Green Eggs & HamIngredients: Prosciutto, Egg, Pistou (Basil, Garlic, Olive Oil)
- Make the Pistou - in a blender or food processor, combine fresh basil, raw garlic and olive oil. This is basically like a pesto without the pine nuts and parmesan. Salt to taste.
- Make the Soft Boiled egg - Cover an egg with water in a small pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover with a lid and turn off the heat and leave for 10 minutes. Take the egg out and put it into a cold water bath to stop the cooking and peel. Mash up the soft boiled egg in a small bowl and set aside.
- Spread the pistou onto the toast, next layer the prosciutto and egg. Add more of the pistou sauce on top of everything.
Ingredients: Burrata, San Marzano Tomatoes, Basil, Garlic.
- Roast 3 cloves of Garlic - instructions here.
- Halve the tomatoes and chiffonade the basil. (quick tip: stack your basil leaves and roll them up, then cut the roll to get ribbons of basil)
- Scoop and spread the burrata on to warm toast
- Top with tomatoes, basil and roasted garlic
- Finish with a pinch of sea salt
Ingredients: Parmesan, Bacon, Egg, Chives
- Place some parmesan on top of the toast and warm in a 325F oven until the cheese is melted.
- Cook 1 piece of bacon until crispy and pat with a paper towel to absorb excess grease. Chop up the cooked bacon slice into little bites.
- Poach an egg in boiling water for about 6 minutes.
- Top your cheesey toast with the egg, and then top with bacon and chives.
- Finish with freshly ground pepper
Tag me on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter if you recreate any of these toasts and let me know if you like them! They were definitely a hit with my friends, and of course this little puppy who couldn't resist as I shot the photos.
Pin this image for later: