I really wanted to make something fun and festive for Valentine's Day. I love to bake special themed treats, and I've always wanted to try making surprise inside treats, so I thought this would be the perfect occasion. These cakes are very easy to make! I kept it simple with some store bought items to same some time and sanity. Make these for your Valentine's Day Celebration!
Supplies:Food coloring (optional for the frosting)
1 Box of Cake Mix (I used the Strawberry one to be festive)
- eggs, oil and water required on box.
Large cookie sheet
- Start by preparing your cake mix according to the directions on the package. Using a large cookie sheet, you want to prep by folding or cutting parchment paper to fit. Spray some non-stick cooking spray to make it stick. I let the paper run off the shorter edge of the sheet so i could easily remove the cake once it was done baking.
- Pour your prepared cake mix on to the cookie sheet so you are making one large thin cake sheet. You'll need to guestimate the baking time according to your package - mine was about 15 minutes of baking time. Take out when you can insert a fork or toothpick and pull it out clean.
- Let your cake cool completely in the fridge overnight. This will make the cake easier to cut and hold up.
- Using your heart cookie cutters, cut out 3 hearts using the larger cookie cutter. With the smaller cookie cutter, remove the center of one of the hearts so you have two full hearts and one that is like a framed heart.
- Using your food coloring, color your frosting to your desired color. I decided on purple, I kind of wished I picked yellow instead since it's not the prettiest purple because of the original off-white color.
- Place your frosting into a ziplock bag to make it easier to put on to your cake and cut the tip.
- Add a layer of frosting to the outside edge of one of the whole hearts. Place the "framed" heart on top of the whole heart. This will create a cavity where you can put your surprise.
- Frost the whole outside of your cake and decorate using a red decorating icing to add a phrase.
When you cut open the cake, Surprise! Your sprinkles will fall out.