Brown Butter Cake
1 box of yellow cake mix
Substitute brown butter for oil (directions below) - my recipe called for 1/3 cup of oil
1/3 cup of dulce de leche (you can also sub for caramel sauce if you prefer)
1/2 cup of toasted pecans for cake batter
1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup of pecans for topping
- To make brown butter: Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Use the same amount of butter that is called for the amount of oil in the recipe. Cook for an additional 5 to 6 minutes or until butter begins to turn golden brown. Remove from heat. Pour into small bowl and let cool to room temperature.
- Toast the pecans: To toast the pecans, place nuts in dry nonstick skillet. Cook over medium heat, shaking pan until nuts are lightly browned. Remove from pan immediately to avoid over-browning and set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 350 F
- Follow the directions on your cake mix box adding the appropriate amount of eggs, water and brown butter (instead of veg. oil). mix until all the ingredients are combined.
- Add in the dulce de leche and combine.
- Chop the 1/2 cup of pecan and fold into the mixture.
- Line your cupcake tin with liners and fill each cup half way with the mixture.
- Follow the guidelines on the box for baking times. My mini cupcakes baked in 11 minutes. Transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack for cooling.
To make the frosting:
- Beat cream cheese and butter in large bowl with electric mixer on high speed until creamy.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat until smooth and creamy.
Putting the cakes together:
- Frost cupcakes once they have cooled with the cream cheese frosting.
- Add a small amount on the dulce de leche on top of the frosting.
- Garnish each with 1 pecan half or chopped pecans on top center of cupcake.